Saturday, November 7, 2009

5 Best Black Metal Albums





After sifting through hundreds of black metal cds for years, these are the essential five. That's it, and now I'm pretty much done and bored with Black Metal. I'm sure I'll find out if something as good comes out.

Bone Fragments will always be very much alive and will never be limited.

Other essential albums of black/dark metal

Agalloch - The Mantle
Bethlehem - S.U.I.Z.I.D
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
October Tide - Rain Without End
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Summoning - Stronghold
Ulver - Bergtatt
Walknut - Graveforests and their Shadows
Windir - Arntor

3 comments:

  1. I really like Crimson Moonlight - The Covenant Progress. I'd throw in some Drudkh as well.

    What is your guess for the next thing in extreme metal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 4th album cover is Drudkh - Forgotten Legends. I haven't heard Crimson Moonlight but I'll look into it.

    It's really hard to say. The extremes have all pretyy much been done. There's no point in trying to get heavier, faster, slower, 5435 time signatures a minute, etc etc. I think there will have to be some branching out to create some unique music that takes elements of metal but also heavily from other styles. Basically just being different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, I didn't recognize the cover. Forgotten Legends is a really good album. I've been listening to them quite a bit lately.

    ReplyDelete